Why an Injury Lawyer Is Crucial after an Accident
If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in an accident, you have plenty to deal with, and thinking about finding a personal injury lawyer may be least among them. Your primary task is taking care of your health and well-being, but obtaining adequate compensation is likely critical to your ability to do so. Working closely with an experienced Cherry Hill, New Jersey injury lawyer will help ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled and that you need to make your fullest recovery.
Accidents and Medical Costs
If you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, the costs associated with your injuries can be considerable. Your medical expenses are the most obvious example, but they are far from the only consideration. Medical costs can include:
- Emergency care and emergency transportation from the scene of the accident
- Surgery and aftercare
- Treatment from doctors, specialists, and therapists
- Physical therapy
- Prescription medications
- Adaptive physical devices
If your injuries are serious, you not only have a long road toward recovery ahead of you but are also facing immense medical expenses.
Additional Financial Damages
Further, a serious injury will diminish your ability to continue working – at least in the near future. Such an injury, however, can have far-reaching implications for your career, including:
- Lost hours and wages on the job
- Diminished earning capacity into the future
- An altered career trajectory
If your injuries are serious enough, it can be difficult to overestimate the full extent of the financial damages you’ll suffer over the course of your future. Further, having to let go of your career goals can be emotionally devastating. An experienced injury attorney will work tirelessly on your behalf to ensure that your claim covers the full extent of your damages.
Pain and Suffering
As mentioned, there is often a strong psychological component associated with personal injury claims. In addition to the physical pain, there can be long-term emotional suffering. Being injured in an accident is never easy, but being injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence makes things that much more difficult. If you are unable to move forward with the life you’ve planned for yourself, it can take a significant emotional toll. The law provides a remedy for this pain and suffering, and your dedicated personal injury attorney will help ensure that you are fully compensated for yours.
A Cherry Hill Injury Lawyer Can Help You With Your Insurance Claim
If you have a personal injury claim, you may think that allowing the insurance company to do its job and determine your damages is the best path forward, but this approach is not likely to be in your best interests. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, and part of the process is minimizing – and even declining – claims whenever possible. Insurance companies employ many tactics that might help lure you into settling for less than the full extent of the damages you’ve suffered, including:
- Calling Immediately after the Accident – If an insurance representative calls you immediately after your accident (within a day or two or even the same day) to express his or her sympathy and to get your statement in the process, be forewarned – it is very unlikely that your goals are aligned. You’ve just been in an accident, and you are probably at your most vulnerable; the insurance company is hoping you’ll say something that will damage your case moving forward.
- Stalling the Process – If you’ve been seriously injured, you have medical bills piling up, and as time goes by, you may be tempted to accept any offer out of desperation.
- Making an Early Settlement Offer – An early settlement offer can be an attempt to finalize your claim before the full extent of your damages is revealed.
Do I Really Need an Injury Lawyer?
Every personal injury claim is utterly unique to its own facts and circumstances. If someone else leaves you injured, however, obtaining full compensation for your damages is critical to your ability to reach your most complete recovery. Often the recovery process is long and difficult – with many twists and turns – and moving forward can be a difficult journey. Without the professional legal counsel of an experienced Cherry Hill, New Jersey, personal injury attorney, you will be at the mercy of the insurance company and whatever offer it makes. Enduring a painful accident that leaves you injured doesn’t put you in a great position to take on a giant corporation with deep pockets at its disposal. Your rights matter too much to leave to chance – work closely with a knowledgeable injury lawyer.
Protecting Your Claim
There are several things that you can do to help protect your claim from the outset:
- Allow your personal injury attorney to deal with the insurance company on your behalf. Outside of providing the insurance representative with your name and other basics, you are not required to provide him or her with a statement, and you are well-advised not to do so.
- Seek immediate medical attention and follow your medical provider’s instructions carefully. This is not only in the best interests of your health but also in the best interest of your claim.
- Jot down the physical and emotional changes you experience after the accident. Such changes have a way of sneaking up on people, and you may not be as aware of their total effect without consistently recording them.
If You’ve Been Injured by Someone Else’s Negligence, a New Jersey Injury Lawyer Can Help
The dedicated personal injury lawyers at The Ferrara Law Firm – proudly serving Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Philadelphia – have the experience, commitment, and skill to help you obtain the compensation you are not only entitled to but also need to follow the path toward your most complete recovery. Our experienced legal team is here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 856-779-9500 for more information today.