What Successful Personal Injury Settlements Have in Common
Successful Personal Injury Settlements & Outcomes
It is particularly difficult to define what success means in a lawsuit. Instead, success is heavily dependent on the facts and circumstances surrounding a case. While some motor vehicle collisions and other personal injury accidents might be rather simple to resolve, other cases can be much more challenging. No matter the exact damages involved with your personal injury accident, an experienced attorney can help you seek the compensation you deserve. Continue reading to learn more about personal injury settlements.
The Elements of Personal Injury Cases
Each personal injury case must satisfy four elements. Without being able to establish these elements, a person will not be successful. The elements of these claims include the following:
- Duty. It must be shown that the person who caused the accident had a duty to the accident victim. The exact nature of this relationship is heavily dependent on the particular case.
- Breach. An accident victim must demonstrate that the individual who had a duty breached his or her obligation to the accident victim.
- Harm. One of the most substantial elements of personal injury law is being able to establish the exact injuries that a person experienced as a result of an accident.
- Causation. A link must be established between the negligence of the defendant and the accident that caused the injuries.
Successful Personal Injury Settlements
There are a number of factors that can greatly increase a person’s chances of obtaining a successful personal injury settlement, which includes the following:
- Promptly obtaining medical care, which might mean having emergency workers examine the victim at the scene of the accident.
- Closely documenting exactly how the accident occurred as well as retrieving copies of the accident report written by law enforcement as well as any pertinent medical records.
- In many cases, there is a narrow statute of limitations in personal injury accidents. It is critical that an accident victim file a personal injury lawsuit within this narrow window of time.
Common Types of Injuries
In many accident cases, it is typical for a victim to experience whiplash and other soft tissue injuries. Other common types of injuries associated with accidents include broken bones and fractures. No matter the type of injury that results from an accident, the recovery can create real obstacles in the life of the victim. It is common for a victim to experience lost wages from time missed at work as well as physical and emotional pain and suffering.
Complications in Personal Injury Settlements
If a person is elderly, handicapped, or there is any other type of extenuating circumstance involved, it might take that victim much longer to recover from the injuries incurred during an accident. No matter the injuries or complications that you face as a result of an accident, it is important to make sure that the person responsible for your accident ends up being held accountable.
Speak with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one has been impacted by a personal injury accident, you should not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney right away. Contact Ferrara Law today for a free case evaluation and obtain the assistance of an experienced attorney who can help you craft a successful personal injury claim.