5 Reasons You Should Consider an Auto Accident Lawyer
If another driver leaves you injured in a car accident, you may not know where to turn for help. In fact, after being injured in an auto accident, you may be at your most vulnerable and are unlikely to want to take on anything more than recovering from the injuries you’ve sustained. Your car accident claim, however, is critical to your ability to reach your fullest recovery, and as such, there are several very good reasons why you should seriously consider working with an auto accident lawyer. Read on to learn five critical reasons you should seek advice from an expert injury attorney.
Your Damages Are Not Set in Stone
It may be clear that another motorist injured you, but that doesn’t mean that the damages you have incurred will make themselves readily apparent and that pursuing them will be a straightforward process. While your immediate and projected medical costs shouldn’t be difficult to calculate, there is often much more to it than that, including:
- Medical complications that can reverberate into your future
- A resulting permanent or chronic medical condition
- Lost wages, diminished earning capacity, and/or even an altered career trajectory
- Pain and suffering endured as a result of the accident
Determining your damages can be a very complicated process that often requires having experts weigh in. Ensuring that you file a claim that adequately represents the damages you’ve suffered in their totality requires the professional skills of a dedicated Cherry Hill, New Jersey, auto accident attorney. To reach your full recovery, you need the compensation to which you are entitled.
The Insurance Company Is Not Necessarily on Your Side
Many people who’ve been injured by other motorists adopt the attitude that the insurance company handling their claim will take care of the matter. While the insurance company will deal with the claim, its goals are vastly different than your own. Insurance companies are in the business of turning massive profits, and they employ any number of techniques to ensure that they do so, including:
- Minimizing or even denying claims whenever possible
- Making low settlement offers early in the process to tempt claimants to settle before they’re aware of the full extent of the damages they’ve suffered
- Prolonging the settlement process to encourage claimants to accept less than what they’re entitled to out of desperation
The fact is that the insurance company involved will ultimately be covering your damages, but the amount you receive can vary greatly depending on how you proceed. Allowing an experienced car accident attorney to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf helps ensure that your rights are well protected throughout the process and that you receive compensation that covers the full extent of your damages.
You May Need to Go to Court: You’ll Need an Auto Accident Lawyer
If the insurance company refuses to make a settlement offer that adequately covers your losses, you’ll have no recourse other than accepting their lowball offer or proceeding to court. The legal process related to personal injury claims is extremely complicated, with many administrative rules and regulations that can confuse even the most sophisticated plaintiff. Additionally, if you go to court, you’ll probably need to have expert testimony to back up your claims regarding your physical, financial, and/or emotional damages. A skilled auto accident lawyer has the resources, knowledge, and ability to obtain the experts you need and to represent your best interests in court effectively. How your claim is resolved will directly affect not only your ability to recover from your injuries but also your financial future and, as such, is far too important to leave to chance.
Establishing Fault Is Often Complicated
Another driver left you injured, and you are very likely overwhelmed. Even, however, if the other driver’s fault is supported by both eyewitness testimony and other evidence, this may not stop the insurance company from implicating you in sharing a part of that fault. An insurance representative may call you soon after the accident – when you are at your most vulnerable – to express his or her sincere remorse and to chat about the accident. Frequently, the motivation behind such a call is to get you to say something that can come back to haunt you and your claim later. With the professional legal counsel of an experienced car accident attorney, you’ll be far better prepared to establish the other motorist’s fault in your case firmly.
An Auto Accident Lawyer Can Help Avoid Pitfalls
If you have a car accident claim, there are plenty of pitfalls that you can encounter along the way, but an experienced personal injury lawyer will help you effectively and efficiently bypass these common issues that tend to trip people up. Such problems can include:
- Many accident victims feel compelled to post pictures, videos, and blurbs on social media, but you are well-advised to resist the urge. Remember that even a single picture can tell a dramatic story, and you can rest assured that the insurance company will be plumbing the depths of your posts to find anything it can possibly use to challenge your claim and/or your integrity.
- Many accident victims are tempted to settle with the insurance company prematurely because they have no experience in these matters. If you’ve been seriously injured in a car accident, it can be very difficult to know the extent of your damages at the outset. A skilled auto accident lawyer, however, knows how best to calculate your projected medical costs and to obtain an overall picture of the full extent of your physical, financial, and emotional damages. Rushing into a settlement is not likely to be in your best interests.
Contact an Experienced New Jersey Auto Accident Lawyer Today
The experienced car accident attorneys at The Ferrara Law Firm – proudly serving Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Philadelphia – are committed to aggressively advocating for your rights and for your rightful compensation. Our dedicated legal team has the skill, knowledge, and determination to help guide your claim toward its best possible resolution. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 856-779-9500 for more information today.