Medical Malpractice Lawyers
While there is never any guarantee that medical treatment will return you to health, when a medical professional or a medical institution’s failure to adhere to a reasonable duty of care leaves you injured, it’s a different matter. At The Ferrara Law Firm, we not only have decades of experience with malpractice lawsuits but also have extensive resources to fully investigate your case and to bring in expert testimony in support of your claim. This includes nationally recognized experts, such as the board-certified doctor from Yale Medical School, who reviews our cases for veracity.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
If you were injured by medical malpractice, lawyers at our Cherry Hill, New Jersey, law firm work diligently to hold negligent health care providers accountable for their actions. Our firm handles every form of medical malpractice, including:
- Medical Misdiagnosis – Medical misdiagnosis lawsuits are not uncommon. When your illness is misdiagnosed, not only are you treated for something you do not suffer from, but you also fail to receive treatment for whatever it is that does ail you.
- Inadequate Treatment – If your doctor diagnoses your illness correctly but fails to adequately treat you for it, your illness will likely progress and become more and more difficult to treat.
- Surgical Errors – Surgical errors can be especially dangerous. Many patients are under the misperception that – because they signed a consent form acknowledging the attendant dangers – the doctor and medical facility aren’t responsible for any ensuing injuries. While surgery does come with inherent risks, the medical professionals who perform them are responsible for providing every patient with a reasonable quality of care.
- Never Events – Some surgical errors are considered so egregious that they’ve been termed “never events.” These include such errors as performing a specific surgery on the wrong person, operating on the wrong body part, performing the wrong surgery on a patient, mismatching blood transfusions, and leaving a surgical instrument in the patient. These surgical errors are so glaring that they should never have happened in the first place. These never events, nevertheless, do happen, and they generally lead to significant medical malpractice lawsuit settlements.
- Birth Injuries – Birth injuries are among the most devastating examples of doctor or hospital negligence. Bringing a new child into the world is one of life’s most precious gifts, and medical malpractice can leave an expectant couple’s hopes and dreams dashed. The associated costs of living with a serious birth injury for a lifetime can be astronomical.
- Hospital-Acquired Conditions – When the hospital or medical facility in which you receive treatment doesn’t maintain adequate hygiene or provide adequate care throughout your stay, a hospital-acquired condition can be the result. This term refers to a condition that you didn’t have when you entered the hospital but acquired as a result of your stay.
- Emergency Room Errors
- Heart Attacks and Strokes
How to Spot Medical Negligence
Medical professionals owe you the duty of care that a prudent peer would exert in a similar medical situation. Medical malpractice occurs due to a breach of this duty of care, and n a malpractice claim, the medical professional failed to do that would have been expected by another doctor in the same situation with similar training.
Everyone makes mistakes, and it can be difficult to separate an honest error from medical malpractice. This is one reason why medical malpractice cases often require the analysis of medical experts. Experts who are familiar with the required medical standard of care can better identify when that standard was breached, and the doctor was negligent. This is important because while injured patients can recover after medical negligence, they cannot hold doctors liable for honest mistakes. If doctors constantly feared liability for errors, they could not freely do their jobs.
The circumstances surrounding the medical error can often indicate whether malpractice occurred or not. We know the types of evidence needed to prove that a doctor should be held liable for a patient’s losses, and we know how to present this evidence in a persuasive manner to insurance companies or juries in court.
At The Ferrara Law Firm, LLC, our commitment to protecting the health of our clients is evident in our trial record. Our victories include a $7.5 billion settlement that was awarded for the citizens of New Jersey against the tobacco industry. Our firm was co-counsel in a case brought by Governor Whitman against the tobacco industry for reimbursement of Medicaid expenditures caused by smoking-related illnesses. The suit sought to recover billions of dollars that the state and its taxpayers paid through the Medicaid program for health care costs attributable to smoking-related illnesses.
Our Experience and How We Can Help
At The Ferrara Law Firm, we have extensive experience suing for malpractice, including suing for hospital malpractice. We have decades of successful litigation experience, and we are committed to helping you by taking an individualized approach to your unique case. We start with careful research and preparation, and our record touts large medical malpractice settlements and jury verdicts, including a $7.5 billion settlement against the tobacco industry.
What You Can Expect: The Claims Process
Whether you’re suing a hospital or a doctor for malpractice, the claims process may seem daunting, but our dedicated legal team will work closely with you throughout, including:
- Investigating and reviewing your medical records
- Hiring an appropriate medical expert
- Negotiating with the insurance company along the way
- Filing the lawsuit
- Discovery (both sides)
- Entering into mediation (and further negotiations)
- Going to Trial
Our Commitment to You
Our commitment to you means that you pay no attorneys fees or costs to prepare the case unless there is a successful recovery. Our commitment means that we pay attention to what you say and we make sure to provide candid advice in plain English. Our discussions with you are treated with complete confidentiality. And during all phases of your case, we will keep you completely informed as to what is happening in your case.
If You’ve Been Affected by Medical Malpractice, Consult with an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
Injuries caused by medical malpractice are often especially challenging, but the experienced medical malpractice attorneys at The Ferrara Law Firm – proudly serving Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Philadelphia – are here for you. Our dedicated legal team has the skill, knowledge, and resources necessary to aggressively advocate for the compensation to which you are entitled. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 856-779-9500 for a free case evaluation today.