Free Case Evaluation
Cherry Hill Nursing Home Fall Attorneys
Experienced representation for elderly fall victims in South Jersey
For elderly and vulnerable individuals residing in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, falls can be a significant and potentially life-altering event. These incidents often lead to injuries, complications, and a decrease in the overall quality of life for the affected residents. At Ferrara & Gable, our Cherry Hill nursing home fall attorneys work to support families, caregivers, and individuals affected by falls in nursing homes.
Our nursing home abuse attorneys are here to help recover compensation after a resident falls and suffers injury due to negligence. Let us assure you we are dedicated to each and every case, and can provide guidance and help throughout the legal process. To find out some of our successes, read our verdicts and settlement page.
Free Case Evaluation
How can we help?
- How often do seniors fall in nursing homes?
- What are the causes of falls in Cherry Hill nursing homes?
- What types of injuries happen with falls?
- How can falls be mitigated in Cherry Hill nursing homes?
- Who is liable for a fall in a Cherry Hill nursing home?
- Do you have a nursing home fall attorney near me?
How often do seniors fall in nursing homes?
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) reports that falls are common in nursing home facilities – “Of the 1.6 million residents in U.S. nursing facilities, approximately half fall annually. About 1 in 3 of those who fall will fall two or more times in a year.” Further, “One in every 10 residents who fall has a serious related injury and about 65,000 patients suffer a hip fracture each year.”
What types of injuries happen with falls?
Senior citizens are at an increased risk of falls due to several factors, including age-related changes in muscle mass, balance, and coordination; vision problems; and medication side effects. When senior citizens fall, they are more likely to suffer serious injuries than younger people.
Here are some of the most common types of injuries that senior citizens suffer when they fall:
- Hip fractures. Hip fractures are one of the most serious injuries that senior citizens can suffer in a fall. Hip fractures can lead to long-term disability and even death.
- Wrist fractures. Wrist fractures are another common injury among senior citizens. Wrist fractures can make it difficult to perform everyday activities, such as cooking and bathing.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries can be caused by falls that result in head or neck injuries. Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis and other serious complications.
- Brain injuries. Head injuries can be caused by falls that result in a blow to the head. Head injuries can lead to a variety of problems, including concussions, brain damage, and death.
- Soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries, such as bruises, sprains, and strains, are also common among senior citizens who fall. Soft tissue injuries can be painful and can make it difficult to move around.
- Death. Sometimes falls are serious enough to be fatal.
In addition to these specific injuries, falls can also lead to other health problems in senior citizens, such as depression, anxiety, and fear of falling. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries from a fall in a nursing home, talk to the Cherry Hill personal injury attorneys at Ferrara & Gable today.
How can falls be mitigated in Cherry Hill nursing homes?
There are several things that nursing homes can do to mitigate falls, including:
- Identifying and assessing fall risks. Nursing homes should identify and assess all residents for fall risks. This includes assessing their medical history, medications, physical abilities, and cognitive function. Once residents have been assessed for fall risks, nursing homes can develop individualized fall prevention plans.
- Implementing fall prevention measures. Nursing homes can implement a variety of fall prevention measures, such as:
- Modifying the environment. This includes removing tripping hazards, providing adequate lighting, and installing grab bars in bathrooms.
- Providing assistive devices. This includes providing residents with canes, walkers, and wheelchairs as needed.
- Educating residents and staff. Nursing homes should educate residents and staff about fall prevention. This includes teaching residents how to move safely and how to use assistive devices. Staff members should be trained on how to identify and respond to fall risks.
- Monitoring residents. Nursing homes should monitor residents who are at high risk for falls. This may include checking on them more frequently and providing more assistance with activities of daily living.
In addition to these general measures, nursing homes can also implement specific programs to reduce falls. For example, some nursing homes have tai chi classes or other exercise programs that can help to improve residents' balance and coordination. Other nursing homes have implemented fall detection systems that can alert staff members if a resident falls.
Do you have a Cherry Hill nursing home fall attorney near me?
Ferrara & Gable maintains an office at 601 Longwood Avenue in Cherry Hill, NJ. Parking is available, and a bus stop is right up the block on Rt. 38. We can schedule a phone or video consultation if you are too injured or ill to travel.
Cherry Hill nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers serving South Jersey
If you or a loved one has experienced a fall in a nursing home, don't hesitate to seek the legal support and guidance you need. At Ferrara & Gable, our experienced Cherry Hill nursing home falls attorneys are here to be your advocates, to fight for your rights, and to help you seek justice and compensation for the harm you've suffered. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that falls can take on nursing home residents and their families, and we are committed to guiding you through the legal process. To schedule a consultation, call our Cherry Hill offices or contact us today. Proudly serving Camden County, Burlington County & all of South Jersey.