What to Know About Accidents Involving Construction Workers
Commercial construction workers often enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, but many construction workers fail to realize just how dangerous the industry can be. Each year, a large number of people are harmed and some even killed in construction site accidents. If you or a loved one is harmed in a commercial construction accident, it is often a wise idea to obtain the assistance of a seasoned accident attorney who knows how to present a strong case before a court of law to show that the liable parties should be held responsible for your resulting injuries.
How Commercial Construction Accidents Occur
There are a number of ways in which construction accidents occur, and often times, these accidents can forever change a worker’s life. Some of the most common causes of construction accidents include the following:
- Building collapses have the potential to seriously change the lives of workers. There are several causes of building collapses such as defective support barriers or failure by workers to follow proper safety precautions.
- Construction workers use many different pieces of equipment but some of these tools can prove to be dangerous and lead to serious accidents. Cranes are the most dangerous type of equipment that can lead to serious accidents
- Objects can fall from the elevated heights, which can injure workers located below, leading to brain and spinal cord injuries. Scaffolding that is improperly assembled can also result in falls that can seriously harm workers.
- Repetitive motion injuries are common among workers who must perform the same type of physical labor over and over again.
- Slip and fall accidents can occur both on the ground and at elevated heights, which can result in serious injuries and fatalities.
- Vehicular accidents including those involving forklifts are common at construction sites.
How to Avoid Construction Accidents
There are some important steps that construction workers can take to decrease the risk that an accident will occur. These steps include the following:
- Teach workers to remain focused while working to avoid distracted accidents.
- Make sure that workers on the ground wear high-visibility clothing. Many accidents occur at construction sites because workers cannot be seen.
- Ensure that ladders are safe for climbing and will not lead to accidents.
- Avoid direct sun exposure, cover up skin, and wear sunblock to avoid the damaging effects of the sun.
- Many vehicular accidents occur at construction accidents. Instead, drivers should operate their vehicles in a defensive manner, including using daytime running lights on all moving vehicles, slowing down before approaching intersections, avoiding road rage, avoiding backing up whenever possible, not texting, and setting out warning cones when a vehicle is parked.
Speak to a Skilled Accident Attorney
When construction accidents occur, it is common for serious injuries and even fatalities to result. If you or a loved one is involved in this type of accident, it is important to obtain the assistance of a seasoned attorney. Contact an attorney at Ferrara Law Office today to increase your chances of obtaining the compensation that you deserve.